Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Trust In The Lord With All Your Heart

This morning I turned over a daily scripture card and guess what? Again, the message that has been coming to us over and over showed up. Quoting Proverbs chapter 3 and verse 5 it said: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” This is a favorite verse of many and a guiding principal for most, but do we it really follow it? I know that I’ve sure been tested on this lately.
 

If we look at this Scripture, we see first what we are to trust in. Not our-selves, but the Lord. Our natural tendency is opposite: we want to trust our own logic, our own experience, our own amazing brilliance. But God is saying: “Trust me instead.” As we trust in God’s wonderful faithfulness, we learn that He won’t let us down. Moses said, “Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God…” ‘Faithful’ means utterly dependable, so we trust a God who’ll not let us down.
 

This trust of Him is tested. We trust the Lord the same way we come into relationship with Him – by faith. Faith is tested also, in order to strengthen it. When all the craziness was happening to us, with the church we were here to serve with being dissolved and with it our permission to stay in the country, we had to seek the Lord trusting that He will guide us. God spoke to my heart many ways with the same message: ‘I will do a work you will not believe, even if you were told it.’ He did his part – giving guidance and direction, I just needed to do my part, to trust in the Lord with all my heart.
 

So we’ve stayed put, and sure enough, God gave us new sponsorship for a visa to remain here where He has led us, he gave us a few people to begin the new church with and he has given us more people to grow the congregation. I do love the dynamic of our meetings Sunday mornings. We are also going through the book of Joshua, and boy, it is full of examples of a faithful God doing what He promised, but in ways that are completely illogical, completely beyond our own understanding!
 

To be honest, sometimes I look at our small group on Sunday morning and I wonder if the Lord’s word to my heart will come to pass, but then I’ll get a wee nudge from the Holy Spirit to remind me to trust in him and not look at circumstances. So we can relax, let out a sigh and ‘trust in the Lord with all our hearts and not lean on our own understanding.’ It’s an exciting adventure to live life entrusting ourselves to a faithful God – one who will never let us down.

Pastor Rick

No comments: